The White Grouper (scientific name: Epinephelus aeneus) is a protogynous hermaphrodite that matures first as a FEMALE at 50-60 cm total length and about 3 kg weight. Most females change sex at about 9 kg, but smaller males (3-5 kg) are occasionally found.
Τhis meaty fish is considered to be one of the MOST delicious in Greek cuisine. White Grouper, or ‘Sfee – RI – dah’ should be grilled and drizzled with lemon and olive oil and paired with dry white wine. However, you might also enjoy it boiled in a fish soup.
- Greek name: Sfirida
- English name: White grouper
- French name: Mérou blanc
- Spanish name: Cherna de ley
- Italian name: Cernia bianca
- Tunisian name: Mennani abyath
- Lebanese name: Le’oz ramlee
- Turkish name: lahoz
- Portuguese name: Garupa legitima